EPIA 2020 – The 20th EPIA Conference on Artificial Intelligence
September 7-9, 2020
Oeiras – Portugal
The EPIA Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a well-established European conference in the field of AI. The 20th edition, EPIA 2020, will take place in Oeiras from 7th-9th September, 2020. As in previous editions, this international conference is hosted with the patronage of the Portuguese Association for Artificial Intelligence (APPIA). The purpose of this conference is to promote research in all areas of AI, covering both theoretical/foundational issues and applications, and the scientific exchange among researchers, engineers and practitioners in related disciplines.
To promote discussions among participants, the scientific program of EPIA 2020 will be composed of a set of thematic tracks. In addition to the parallel sessions for the different tracks, there will be plenary sessions with invited lectures given by leading scientists, tutorials focusing on specific subjects of AI and demonstrations.
More detailed and up-to-date information may be found at: https://epia2020.inesc-id.pt
The worldwide AI research community is invited to submit thematic track proposals for EPIA 2020. Thematic tracks are intended to provide an environment that fosters an active exchange of ideas between researchers within specific sub-areas of AI, including theoretical/foundational, integrative, application-oriented and newly emerging areas.
Each track is coordinated by an Organizing Committee composed of, at least, researchers from two different countries. Track organizers should also create a highly international Program Committee for the track, with recognized researchers within the corresponding scientific areas.
The selection of proposed thematic tracks will be made by the Program Chairs and Steering Committee of EPIA 2020. We aim to build a strong, well-balanced conference program. If there are significant thematic gaps in the program after the track proposal submission closes, the chairs may actively solicit additional proposals. Likewise, significant overlap between tracks will be addressed by suggesting merging tracks.
Papers accepted in thematic tracks will be published by Springer, in a volume of the Lecture Notes on Artificial Intelligence (LNAI) series. Submitted papers should be prepared according to the corresponding format, with a maximum of 12 pages.
Presentation slots will be accommodated in the conference program for every accepted paper, in thematic sessions that may run in parallel.
The Organizing Committee of each track will be responsible for:
- Creating an international Program Committee for the track.
- Publicizing the track by all necessary means, including distributing the call-for-papers of EPIA 2020.
- Coordinating a double-blind review process for papers submitted to the track, ensuring that each paper is reviewed by at least three program committee members.
- Assisting the Program Chairs of the conference in the paper selection process.
- Ensuring the delivery of camera-ready versions of papers accepted for the track in accordance with the guidelines and deadlines defined by the conference organizers.
- Coordinating track session chairing assignments.
The organizers of EPIA 2020 will ensure:
- A web-based tool to support the scientific organization process (paper submission, reviewing, selection, etc.).
- The coordination and final deliberation on paper acceptance decisions.
- The publication of thematic track papers in the conference proceedings.
- A meeting place and time for holding the track sessions, including common equipment (e.g. computer and beamer).
EPIA 2020 organizers reserve the right to cancel a track if deadlines are missed, or if the track organizers are unable to attract a minimum number of quality paper submissions. If that is the case, track session merges may also be imposed.
Track proposals should not exceed 3 pages and must be submitted as a PDF file, at the conference submission system: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=epia2020
The proposal should contain the following information:
- Thematic track title.
- Name, affiliation, postal address, phone and email address of all members of the track Organizing Committee, which must include researchers from institutions in at least two different countries.
- Identification of the Organizing Committee contact person.
- A brief description of the specific scientific/technical scope of the track
- A list of topics of interest.
- The reasons why the track should be held within EPIA 2020.
- A tentative list of members of the proposed track Program Committee, which should be highly international (e.g. no more than 50% from a single country).
- A preliminary version of the track call-for-papers.
- The planned format (e.g., invited talks, paper presentations, panel discussions, etc.) and duration of the track.
- Any plans on preparing a journal special issue for selected and extended versions of papers accepted in the track.
- Planned forms of publicizing the track.
- A list of technical/room requirements for the track.
- Specific initiatives to support and improve the quality of the overall conference.
- Sponsors or other funding initiatives for the thematic track.
- Thematic-track proposal deadline: December 15, 2019
- Notification of track acceptance: January 15, 2020
- 1st Call-for-papers: January 30, 2020
- Paper submission deadline: April 15, 2020
- Notification of paper acceptance: May 31, 2020
- Camera ready papers deadline: June 15, 2020
- Conference dates: September 7-9, 2020
EPIA 2020 Committees
Event and Program Chairs
Ana Paiva, INESC-ID, IST, Portugal
Bernardete Ribeiro, CISUC, UC, Portugal
Goreti Marreiros, GECAD, ISEP-IPP, Portugal
Luisa Coheur, INESC-ID, IST, Portugal
Fernando Batista, INESC-ID, ISCTE-IUL, Portugal
Bruno Martins, INESC-ID, IST, Portugal